SailNet Community - View Single Post - AGM batteries
Thread: AGM batteries
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: AGM batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
AGMs need to be secured. Doesn't hurt to put them in a box, either.

A group 27 start battery would work. I use a group 31 start battery for my 4-108 just for a bit of extra capacity.

AGMs and flooded batteries have almost identical charging profiles, so you could use a flooded start battery.

Not sure how your ACR is wired. The ideal way these days is to lead ALL charging sources to the house battery bank, then use either a voltage-follower device (e.g., EchoCharge or DuoCharge) or an ACR to maintain the start battery.

BTW, start batteries require very little charging. Starting your 4-108 typically will use 150-175A while cranking, but only for a very few seconds. Typical capacity draw for a diesel start is less than 0.5 amp-hours!! This is replaced in just a couple of minutes.

Bill
Hey Bill

SO would you use the wet cell charge cycle for both or the agm charge cycle for both?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook