SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

[IMG]Phil sailing home 2 - September 29, 2012[/IMG]

I'll just chime in because the OP and I sail only 45 miles apart and both singlehand a lot. The picture above will show it would be difficult to make a spaghetti bowl in my cockpit, and I never have to leave the cockpit to change anything - That's probably because I don't use a spin, I have a furling jib, so those lines stay in a bag all the time. I've only have to adjust my boomvang once (The green/white line) so if I think I'll need it I just toss it forward over the hatch. So the only lines I have on the cockpit floor/bench is the mainsheet and traveler, then the jib sheets. I tuck the halyards in either of two large bags, and I usually tidy up the jib sheets after each tack so they won't tangle or get in the way for the next tack. Again, no racing, just casual day sailing.

I will say that having the main halyard running aft and previously installed autopilot has been very convenient. As I enter my main channel I point into the wind at idle RPM's in FWD gear, flick the autopilot on and yank on the halyard. It takes about 30 seconds to get the main all the way up, then I winch on it for the last few inches, then I have a clutch to lock it down. I can turn off the wind with or without autopilot and unfurl the jib and it's all done, smooth quiet sailing from there. I don't really use the autopilot when I'm out there unless I have to go down below for something, so battery draining isn't a concern.

Is there anything at the moment that causes you to shake your head every time you go sailing? If so, I'd make that / those the first things to address. That's sort of how I prioritize boat improvements.

If you decide to buy deck organizers and all the other goodies see what you can find at Minney's before ordering brand new ones!