SailNet Community - View Single Post - AGM batteries
Thread: AGM batteries
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: AGM batteries

The ONLY way that I would consider mixing AGM and Wet-Cell batteries, of different ages, is with the HOUSE bank as AGMs, and the START battery connected via an Echo-Charge. I would verify that the voltage regulator is capable of working with AGMs, and that your alternator is up to the task of charging the house bank. The battery switch would be switched to the start bank to start, and then quickly switched to the house bank at any time when the engine is running.

In general, my learning from the posts in SailNet, and elsewhere, is that one should not mix battery types. YMMV

AGMs do not need to be kept in a box, they only need to be secured.

Good article here: http://www.pacificpowerbatteries.com/marinebatts.html
Quote:
AGM Pro's: better cycling and depth of dischager over the wet or gell batteries. While most wet batteries are supposed to only go to about 50% depth of discharge, the AGM's are able to go to about 20% depth of discharge without harming them PROVIDED that you don't overcharge them at too high a voltage on their return.
Quote:
Wet Lead Acid Battery Con's: Slower to recharge than AGM, require maintenance more often, and don't cycle as deeply as the AGM batteries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-19-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook