SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compresion post repaired
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

510datsun is on a distinguished road
Re: Compression post repaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknott View Post
Just to prove how detail-oriented I am, it's "Bruynzeel" plywood. An interesting story with a little internet search. Bottom line, it's slipped a little but is still just about indestructable. Back to the compression post, I still advocate for removing the mast to do the repair if at all possible. If not for safety then just to save hassle, time, and work space with all the jacking. Especially if you plan to replace the standing rigging anyway. Good luck and just ignore all those cracking sounds when the mast comes up. BTW, I am still happy with my aluminum plates. Now I'm worried about the cross members they sit on. How in the world did the cross members on, I think it was, 510's boat tear away from the hull? What generated that kind of force?
Poor preparation in the hull prior to fiberglassing the joices from the looks of it, and soaked in bilge water for long periods prior to my owning the boat. I bought the boat basically from a lean sale for dock fees. The boat was poorly maintained when I purchased her.

I have had reservations and opt to remove the mast for repairs. So, its going to be awhile before I have completed this fix.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook