SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI charter
Thread: BVI charter
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
We're taking a 36i with Sunsail in a couple of weeks. Anything you'd recommend bringing that you didn't, or leaving behind if you brought it? This will be our first charter in the BVI's so any advice is welcomed.

Thanks
Hmmm... I always bring clothes pins, but found a large box on the boat this time, so it appears Sunsail provides while others don't.

You might want a pair of gloves for furling the jib, my one complaint about our boat was the the furling was really tough. I couldn't find anything wrong with the drum and it appeared to be a result of the furling line passing through numerous fairleads at tight angles to bring it up to the dog house instead of practically outboard next to the cockpit as is more common. I got a real nice burn pulling it in once.

With Horizon I've always had to supply my own handheld GPS. Our Sunsail 36i had a verynice built-in one, so don't bother if you feel you need one.

Another nice feature, the stereo has USB to accept an ipod, so you don't need some aux jack that plugs into the headphones, just the original usb data cable.

Bring a headlamp or a good flash light for dinghy rides at night. The two lights they provided us absolutely sucked.

I brought my own snorkel gear but Sunsail actually gives you all of it for free if you want it at the bast. It was perfectly fine stuff too for just swimming around a little at Cooper or Peter Island; the fins were real nice and the masks were good. Bring some baby shampoo to wash them and stop fogging.

If you have room for a small lantern or something for on deck you may want it. There is just a very small light provided; basically a DC adapter on one end and a tiny light bulb on the other, tied to the bimini. The bulb burned out halfway through our trip and they didn't supply extras on the boat so we sat in darkness everynight in the cockpit.

Flatware, knives, cups etc. that were provided were all adequate and there were plenty of each.

All I can think of right now, let me know if you have any other questions! Enjoy the trip.

Erik
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook