SailNet Community - View Single Post - AGM batteries
Thread: AGM batteries
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: AGM batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This is what is so frustrating about the internet that gobledey goook is just that..

That data was EXACTLY how AGM batteries marketed and launched themselves into the marine market. Those bogus promises of longer cycle life and more usable capacity than deep cycle flooded batteries was soon ousted as a mistruth in the "real world" where the battery life really matters.. These misleading marketing attempts really bit them in the ARSE because cycle life at 80% DOD SUCKED....

Today nearly every maker of AGM batteries, Lifeline, Deka/East Penn (and all their private labels), Trojan, Rolls etc. etc. all recommend a 50% DOD not 80% DOD.

Odyssey still sells on 80% DOD but they readily admit that at 80% DOD you only get 400 cycles. (and this in in a laboratory with white glove treatment)

At 80% DOD with a flooded group 31 Rolls 12V battery you get 800 cycles or DOUBLE the life of an Odyssey AGM at 80% DOD. DOUBLE the rated cycles !!!! The Rolls battery also costs less than HALF of what an Odyssey does.

With a Deka/East Penn AGM group 31 12V battery you get 250 cycles to 80% DOD.

Compare that to a US Battery DCXC group 31 flooded deep cycle battery that sells for about $120.00 and it gives you 675 cycles at 80% DOD!! Bump that up to 50% DOD and you get 1150 cycles yet the Odyssey only gives 700 at 50% and the Deka/East Penn 500 cycles at 50% DOD..

Oh and to even attempt to come close to 400 cycles at 80% DOD with Odyssey batteries you need a minimum of 40% of capacity in charging current. So a 400Ah bank needs a charge source capable of maintaining 160A. If this is an alternator you'd need a cold rating of about 200A to have 160A when hot.... How many boaters can do that or expend all that money just to hope they "might" get 400 cycles when a cheap $120.00 battery will give 675 cycles with no fancy charging system upgrades.....

The fact is that AGM's do not offer longer life or deeper cycling an this has been priven time and time again in the "real world" and also in the lab by the manufacturers.. The manufacturers own data shows shows this, it's where I got the numbers from above.

I find this to be an interesting quote by Trojan Battery. When AGM's first came out the claims were BETTER cycle life than wets as that web site still seems to claim..

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that ALL of those numbers are LAB DERIVED where temperature, charge rate and charge/discharge cycles are done very methodically and repeatably. Those numbers are NOT at all indicative of what you'll see in the real world. If you want real world numbers chop 50% right off the top and now you're in the ball park..
Have I told you that my Lifelines have now been replaced with a cheap set of wet cells.... hmmmm... (most certainly agree with you Maine).

Only stipulation I will add is that for some installs, agms seem a better choice. THis is where the batteries may not set up straight or are difficult to get to for maintenance. But for cruisers, who rarely get their batts back up too 100% soc, agms are an awfully expensive experiment in dissapointment.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook