SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Now you have....
Golly. That isn't attractive. The worst of all worlds - tripping hazards, friction, AND you have to go forward. Why aren't those winches on the mast?

Helpful pictures. I understand. To my mind the answer should be moving the winches onto the mast and getting them off the cabin top and removing the blocks, not running all the way aft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
As for wet lines down the companionway, on my boat, and many others I sail on the halyards hang in such a way that they don't contact anything but the sole, which is going to get wet in foul weather anyway.
Different boats. I sail offshore and a lot of bluewater boats have carpet. I'll pull the piece at the base of the companionway when the weather is bad. Coming off watch crew go straight into the head (at the base of the companionway where God intended) to get out of foulies and dry off. Wet and salty stays on deck. Never below.

Wet below may work for racers and those with all fiberglass liner boats but not for cruisers - daysailers, weekenders, or longer - who consider spaces below to be living spaces.

Quote:
Only been out a few times in big wind, and never on deck. So the cockpit is where I sail from. I am mostly a singlehanded, or shorthanded sailor, and for me, the more I can do from the cockpit the better, especially when it comes to raising and lowering sails in harbor. I dont have an autopilot yet, so that will help, but in breezy conditions with current, its sometimes hard to point the boat, go to the deck, lower the sail, then run back and forth.
Get the autopilot first, then see if you still care about lines run aft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
What about this?

I have even seen boats with two winches on each side of the mast.
Swan?

Quote:
This got me thinking...what modern boats DONT have lines run aft?
Just because the market drives manufacturers in a direction doesn't mean that the market is well informed. Lines aft are not a good idea in my opinion UNLESS your boat is small enough that your weight outboard and forward discernibly moves the boat. For boats that small you can talk me into it.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook