SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many coats is enough?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: How many coats is enough?

The HONEY TEAK System is a two step, catalyzed acrylic urethane enamel coating - from the Honey Teak website. Signature Finish and Honey Teak Products - Honey Teak
I'm not really sure WHAT you would use to thin this finish as you would with varnish. I'm also not sure IF it is even recommended to thin this 2 part urethane product.

Read the label thoroughly before using.

I have used Bristol Finish, which is also a 2 part urethane clear finish and I can tell you that it has a very strong smell, like nail polish, and it is not extremely easy to apply (unlike Cetol which is pretty forgiving).

If Honey Teak is similar to Bristol Finish (and I think it is) the instructions will recommend a total of around 8 coats. Keep in mind that this recommendation is for exterior wood and the wood inside your cabin does not have to put up with nearly as much weather as your exterior wood. Therefore, I'm with jimgo and I say build up around 4 or 5 coats and see how you like the look. For high traffic areas you might consider going with the max # of coats.

Have fun with your Honey Teak!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook