SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Have had every line run aft on last 2 boats and will on new one.
1.if possible use similar color lines for same function- first reefs variation of red,second green etc. Think about how you are going to use winchs,line clutches etc. I have two winches on cabin top. One is powered. Halyards go on that side. Mark lines at usual positons with colored yarn (can feel it in the dark). For example-main halyard marked at first,second and third reef.
2.keep all turns in lines to mimimal degree of acuteness- hugely decreases friction.
3. make sure you can clear kinks in lines quickly. Lines not under load should be pulled aft so no slack -less likely to kink. Periodically take lines out to get rid of any twist in them from use.

Have hard dodger. Issue of getting water in from "holes" trivial as coil lines and dump them in that space. Lines act as buffer and "holes" are part of a limber hole system for dodger. Always have jack lines out when singling. Still have mast pulpit and grab rails on side of dodger and on deck. Bringing everything aft doesn't mean you won't need to go forward time to time.
I'm a wuss and proud of it.