SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not following what you mean by water through the dodger.
Not to speak for Jon, but what I think he is talking about and what I know I am talking about is water sluicing over the deck that with a decent dodger would be kept out of at least the forward part of the cockpit. With lines through or under the dodger there WILL be solid water coming through. That puts electronics under the dodger at risk, it makes paper charts and other documents untenable in the cockpit, and increases the probability of water into the boat down the companionway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
The interesting thing here is that I've never seen or heard people argue so hard against lines led aft. I recognize that some of it is tounge in cheek...
Here I know I can speak for Jon -- neither of us are speaking tongue in cheek. We are serious about this. Our many thousands of professional miles at sea led to our conclusions.

If you want to plot your own course that is certainly your right and privilege. Neither of us will try to talk you out of it. Both of us are old curmudgeons (emphasis on both words) and manage to get to the mast pretty comfortably.

Go ahead and do your own thing on your boat. The question was asked and everyone has a chance to weigh in. It's clear the opinion of the professional delivery skippers is in the minority. Okey dokey.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook