SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat for small 9 yr old girl?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

jasenj1 is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat for small 9 yr old girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
PS: My daughter is going on 10 now (next month). She's just starting to like sailing (she road out a light rainstorm with me last year that drove us in 25+ knots, a wild ride for sure and she loved it)... but has no desire to try it herself. How do you get her to want to do this herself?
This is a bit off the topic and strays into armchair psychiatry, but I'll take a stab at it.

Find a role model she wants to emulate. For my daughter, she really likes reading, especially about young girls. So we had her read the American Girl Caroline series (set in the War of 1812 and revolves around sailing), and now she's reading "Swallows and Amazons" (a book about four children summering on a lake and the adventures they have sailing and exploring in a dinghy).

My daughter likes to be independent. I'm hoping that sailing will give her another thing she can do herself and feel good about. She already has a little kayak and enjoys paddling it around; I'm hoping sailing will provide her another thing that is "hers".

You also might try getting her into a class. My daughter likes sharing experiences with other kids. I plan to get her in a class at some point and hope (expect) she bonds with some other sailor kids.

- Jasen.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook