SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post

I want my lines that are routed aft, INSIDE my cabin, basically running along the "ceiling"

As I havent a headliner to hide "gutters" under I have yet to come up with a satisfactory way to keep the cabin dry- as the holes the lines enter and exit from will leak in rain, spray or anything else.

once I come up with a set up I feel confident will keep water out I will move all hardware and lines UNDER the deck, rather than on it. look up- now imagine ropes running for and aft on the ceiling.

look down, imagine ropes under your feet.

Now look at the keyboard or iphone whatever, and imaging that all those ropes in either situation terminate right there, allowing you precise control over your marrionette, Now with a complete mental picture like that, which do you imagine to be preferable, lines on the "floor" or lines on the "ceiling"

I crewed a boat with "evertyhing" lead aft- and it was all under the deck, between it and the headliner, wiht "gutters" 5200ed in place under them, so any water that entered the boat, exited into the cockpit. it was awesome. clean usable decks, nothing to trip over etc, the bow guy certainly appreciated it. no clutter, a clean slick visual appearance. IT was HIGHLY functional in every way, and very eye catching and appealing.
I'm having a hard time picturing how that would work on anything but a fairly small boat...

How does one configure the turning blocks inside the cabin, without admitting water? Or, eliminating friction in the case of sealed conduits without turning blocks?

How were the lines led to winches, once exiting the cabin? Again, without creating issues with increased friction, or chafe?

One of the worst design flaws/setups I have EVER seen, was on an older Hunter that had lines led aft through conduits/covers on the deckhouse, under the dodger, and emerging on each side of the companionway... Guess it never occurred to anyone what might happen when green water came rolling aft on deck... I quickly found out one December night on LI Sound, the amount of water that cascaded down the companionway, even with the hatch closed, was simply beyond belief, it was like a freakin' waterfall...

Ran a few Trintellas that led lines aft through the curved stainless handrails... Very sleek and sexy, garnered lots of Oohs & Ahhs at the boat shows... Yet, in practice, it was astonishing how much additional friction it added to the setup, a more elegant recipe for breaking stuff with an electric cockpit winch has rarely been devised... (grin)

Especially when the main halyard is fed to a winch on one side of the cockpit, and the Leisure-Furl downhall is fed to the opposite side, making it very impractical/difficult for one person to manage both, and gauge the relative tension/resistance when hoisting or reefing the main... No need to ask me how I know this, of course...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-19-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook