SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ipad as sailing instrument....
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ipad as sailing instrument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Dave - I have the Standard Horizon GX2150, which has an AIS receiver integrated into it. I have a dedicated Garmin GPS puck feeding GPS coordinates to it (something I advocate for anyone who does not have a fixed chartplotter to connect to their DSC radio). I have two Bluetooth transmitters - one sends the GPS coordinates, and the other sends the AIS signal. My Netbook receives both and OpenCPN displays them. (I can also pick up these Bluetooth signals on my Nook Color tablet, which lacks its own internal GPS.) The Netbook also sends autopilot commands out via Bluetooth, from which it is routed to the autopilot. I once did a motorized run from Delaware City to Essington entirely using a pre-programmed route. Obviously I stood watch to make sure I did not need to dodge a freighter, buoy, tree, or old tire.

Although the AIS lacks transmit capability, having the receiver integrated into the radio does offer one very nice feature. With a turn of a knob (in the cabin) or the press of an arrow button (on the cockpit RAM mic) I can select any vessel on the AIS display and place a DSC call directly to them without having to manually enter their MMSI number. Placing a DSC call (as opposed to a normal voice hail) also sends them your GPS coordinates, which show up on their radio display (and on their chartplotter, if it's interfaced with the radio). This is a very nice feature which makes DSC much more easily usable than having to manually enter an MMSI number, which is hopelessly tedious.
Gottcha,

So everything into the netbook, except power to recharge it is blue toothed in from the cabin I am assuming. How do you keep power into the netbook?

How is the puck is down below connected to one bluetooth? Does it have to be powered?

The VHF the other bluetooth through a jack out on the VHF I assume correct?

IOGEAR - GBMA211 - Bluetooth Stereo Audio Transmitter
Garmin GPS 18x PC Receiver by Office Depot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook