SailNet Community - View Single Post - The boy behind the gate (new book)
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

sfsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The boy behind the gate (new book)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oh great, now I've got another book to buy.

Thoughts on Westerbleak [sic] and Mitsu:
Westerbleak is a contractor. They put out bids for everything, and their bidders supply just what the contract calls for. WB (no resemblance to the Looney Tunes compnay?) then assembles all the pieces and slathers red paint over them all.
That means, typically, that Mitsu has nothing to do with the exhaust, all they supply would be THE BLOCK. Or whatever WB contracted with them for. I'd suggest that as the master contractor, WB has the entire responsibility for the finished "WB" engine. And note in passing that WB also paints everything after assembly, including the rubber hoses, which the hose makers say should never be painted.

Mixing plastic and metal gears can be a mistake, but it can also be good engineering. If it is done properly and intentionally, one of the plastic gears will shatter and sacrifice itself instead of something more important (like a structural plate) when there is an overload. And in theory, a plastic gear is a cheap part to easily replace, except in the industrialized world, where motor repair shops have become hard to find.

Amazon? Is the available as an eBook for Kindle yet?
Hello HelloSailor!
Yes, we learned that about Westerbeke and ended up going to Mitsubishi forklift dealers around the world for parts at 1/3 the price of Westerbeke!
And sorry, but yes, another book to buy...LOL. It's available in every format including audio. You can find links at my website of Web Page Under Construction
I really do hope you enjoy it!
All the best
Larry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook