SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galveston Bay and South Sailing
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Re: Galveston Bay and South Sailing

Peniki, welcome to Sailnet. I'm afraid this thread is a few years old... No big deal, although some posters will make it seem like a carnal sin

As far as Galveston goes, I'm sure some posters around there will be able to help. We are farther south, around Rockport / Port Aransas. Water is pretty skinny around here if you are bay sailing. I did a quick search on Galveston Bay and they are showing an average depth of 7' - 9'. You will also want to check to see how much has changed from the last hurricane. (Ike)

You might want to check out some charts of the area. You can pick up a cheap, quick chart at many sporting goods stores. Ask for a fishing chart, "Hook-n-Line is a common one around the coast. Although they aren't suppose to be for navigation, they are updated by the area's fishermen probably more often than many actual navigation charts. It will at least give you something to look at. A depth finder and chart plotter is a good idea.

We have a Mac26s swing keel (actually a swing board) so we are good to about 18" which we have tested more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peniki View Post
My husband and I are also looking for places to sail in and around Galveston Island. We are currently working on getting our San Juan 24 hauled from D/FW to Galveston Bay area, and have had some really good bids from boat haulers.

Though we are hitting a dead-end when it comes to finding crane services to put our boat in the water once it arrives; since the mover will not. We are looking at Teichman Point Marina on Offats Bayou, but they do not have a lift. I have contacted Galveston Yacht Basin, but have-yet to hear back.

So...unless anyone would like to offer some much appreciated pointers to this 'newby-near-novice-sailor', I will keep searching the net for crane services and start studying the charts in Offats Bayou. I noticed one poster in this thread had said that there are many shallow spots there, and we have a fixed keel with a 4' drop; which was one of the reasons we wanted to relocate to deeper waters. : )

Any pointers would be very...very appreciated. Links to buy charts and crane services near Teichman would be wonderful too. Thanks so much in advance. Fair winds and blessings!

Last edited by mdbee; 03-20-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook