SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compresion post repaired
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

510datsun is on a distinguished road
Re: Compression post repaired

Here are some pictures of the two support for the compression post under the cabin sole. You can see the fiberglass cloth cracking and separating from the supports.

Here is the Aft support, and most visible from the bilge. The separation is at the bottom of the the fiberglass attaching the support to the hull in the bilge.

Here is the forward support at the location between the two supports. You can clearly see the delamination where the support is attached to the hull in the bilge wall.

In this shot, it doesn't look like they use much to attach the forward support on the forward portion of the bilge wall. I think it should be well attached here for better support.

Here is a shot of both supports and the problem area

Here is a shot of the cabin sole of what I have cut away to start the repairs.

Here is a shot in the head showing my initial outline cutting of the head sole. You can see they used a piece of FRP, white square, to shim the wood compression post.

Initially I thought Islander used a piece of 3/4 thick plywood under the wood post, between the wood post and plywood floor, but after taking the head wood work apart to be able to do the repairs, and having better light and visual of the wood post, it's actually a water line from resting water in the boat for a long period of time. The waterline is visible on the salon sautés too. Good thing they used the grad of plywood that they did, most plywood would have rotted, but the floor is fine. The teak and holy plywood is junk for sure. The extended period of water that high in the boat would contribute to the degeneration of the support fiberglassed sections too.

I will post more pictures and how I repair the area as I get time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook