SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'm having a hard time picturing how that would work on anything but a fairly small boat...

How does one configure the turning blocks inside the cabin, without admitting water? Or, eliminating friction in the case of sealed conduits without turning blocks?

How were the lines led to winches, once exiting the cabin? Again, without creating issues with increased friction, or chafe?
I'm not following the difficulty. Lines pass thru a swivel block at the base of the mast, over to a deck organizer where they are redirected through a conduit and straight back to clutches right in front of the cabin top winches. No chafing, no turning blocks inside the cabin.

Quote:
One of the worst design flaws/setups I have EVER seen, was on an older Hunter that had lines led aft through conduits/covers on the deckhouse, under the dodger, and emerging on each side of the companionway... Guess it never occurred to anyone what might happen when green water came rolling aft on deck... I quickly found out one December night on LI Sound, the amount of water that cascaded down the companionway, even with the hatch closed, was simply beyond belief, it was like a freakin' waterfall...
Wouldn't this have also been the case without lines run through a conduit, particularly if one does not have a dodger?

All of our cabin top lines run through a conduit and it would allow water in, if it got up that high. We've taken some serious water over the deck, even washing out and salt water crusting the dodger, but significant water through the conduit has never been an issue. Must have been some, but not memorable. I'm also certain, with the hatch closed, nothing would enter the companionway. This I know, as I once delivered her without her dodger in near 40 kt winds. Plenty of water into the cockpit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook