SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing a bow floodlight
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 03-20-2013
Tundra Down
Re: Installing a bow floodlight

Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I've been thinking about something similar. Is there any worry about putting the light so close to the bow lights, that another boat can't make out the red/green light? (My bow light is mounted in the forward pulpit.)

I hadn't thought of that. My running lights are bow mounted at deck level. They are at the original location and seem small to me. I have seen the boat from a distance and am amazed by how visible they manage to be. Lifting them up to a rail mount design was once a plan but masthead will be next.

The flood is mounted on the bow rail, above the running lights.

I only use the flood intermittently when underway. Having a remote controller is the key. Most of the "lobster pot" work is done at headway speed and inshore. It is usually aimed quite low. I don't think it compromises the visibility of my running lights. It sure announces my location if there is another boat near. Or far for that matter. There are offshore lobster boats in North East Harbor with mast mounted banks of large floods that can light up the entire channel for half a mile. When I have witnessed them using those lights I can't remember being able to see anything else.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome