SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
I was talking about Jameswilson- his was tounge in cheek. You were decidedly vehement.
I guess I was, wasn't I? I intended to be clear. *grin* I overachieved.

Quote:
and lo those many pro miles you keep referencing go even further to proving the point, EVERYONE ELSE'S boat is ALWAYS rigged wrong.
Well, not entirely. I've sailed a lot of great boats. The ones that stick in my mind are the ones that had some silly characteristic. There are lots of "right" answers but even more "wrong" or at least misguided ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
How does one configure the turning blocks inside the cabin, without admitting water? Or, eliminating friction in the case of sealed conduits without turning blocks?
I've seen some pretty cool looking underdeck leads on Jeanneau cruisers. The friction is no greater than any other boat with lines led aft but of course are not nearly so nice as one with lines at the mast.

Quote:
I find the added friction of lines led aft hasn't ever been sufficient for me to bother to complain about it. It's far less significant than the difference between a boom that's end or mid sheeted. If it were significant like that I'd gripe.
You must be pretty strong. In my experience with lines at the mast I can get the main to the masthead on boats up to 40' and tension the halyard with a winch. On boats to about 50' I can usually get the main to within 8 or 10' and grind it the rest of the way. I can't get anything like that sort of hoist by hand with lines led aft.

I'm 52 in good health and moderate condition.

Oh - at the risk of vehemence again, God intended sailboats have end-boom sheeting. *grin* There's a Psalm or a Commandment or something.

Quote:
Owned the boat said he had seen it done on a Swan 61? A big swan. He was a real German freres fan. But it's hard to fault a guy for that. Maybe it was a halberg rassy. Anyway- that where he saw it done and replicated it. I don't know if he ever saw exactly how it was done on that boat or if he just had to wing it. But it was well executed.
I think German Frers is one of the best naval architects of our age.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook