SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 or 25?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 or 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy020 View Post
I am curious to see what the input is for a Catalina 22 or 25 as a first cruiser.
I'll agree on what others have said for the living space of the C22 vs C25. I've been on both and had a C25 for 17 years, recently moved to the C36. A few comments that others have not highlighted much
  • C22 has a daysailor feel about it. Walk forward on the deck at dock along the rail and the boat will lean a great deal. The C25 has a genuine big boat feel. You can walk about the deck without a great deal of heel or motion. Masthead work on the C25 can be done on a bosun chair. Take a chair up the mast on a C22 and it will likely put the boat flat to the water. Very dangerous.
  • C22 is about as big as a reasonable person would trailer sail. Simple rig and easy to put up. My C25 took 2 hours to rig properly and it would be a great pain to rig and de-rig in the same day for an afternoon of sailing.
  • C25 with swing keel is a pain in the butt. People have had their boat sink if the cable fails and the keel swings out. It can crack the housing. Swing keel points better. I had the wing keel and I loved it, despite the fact that the swing keel guys would make me feel like I was sailing sideways. I prefer wing for lots of reasons, but swing does preform better.

G. Jackson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook