SailNet Community - View Single Post - British Columbia wilderness, sometime in next 3 years, any exp
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: British Columbia wilderness, sometime in next 3 years, any exp

This discussion has got me thinking about how I would go about trying to sail (no engine) north to go round the island. Bilge + Jack- being the resident experts you may want to chime in. Having only been past Campbell R a couple of times I would favor the direct Seymour - Johnstone St route avoiding all the rapids in the safer but infinitely more difficult eastern route. I can't say that I would be very comfortable leaving C River knowing that if the wind picked up once I got into Johnstone there are limited places to hide. It would all boil down to picking the right weather window and hoping for the best I guess. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to having the luxury of an engine but I would think that a lot of the best, most beautiful spots, would be avoided because of difficulty and time constraints. Is it possible, certainly, if you had unlimited time and were OK with skipping a lot of places due to the flukey, shifty winds. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever done the Dent, Green route entirely under sail alone.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook