SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: Mostly singlehanded...what lines should I run aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I guess I was, wasn't I? I intended to be clear. *grin* I overachieved.

Well, not entirely. I've sailed a lot of great boats. The ones that stick in my mind are the ones that had some silly characteristic. There are lots of "right" answers but even more "wrong" or at least misguided ones.

I've seen some pretty cool looking underdeck leads on Jeanneau cruisers. The friction is no greater than any other boat with lines led aft but of course are not nearly so nice as one with lines at the mast.

You must be pretty strong. In my experience with lines at the mast I can get the main to the masthead on boats up to 40' and tension the halyard with a winch. On boats to about 50' I can usually get the main to within 8 or 10' and grind it the rest of the way. I can't get anything like that sort of hoist by hand with lines led aft.

I'm 52 in good health and moderate condition.

Oh - at the risk of vehemence again, God intended sailboats have end-boom sheeting. *grin* There's a Psalm or a Commandment or something.

I think German Frers is one of the best naval architects of our age.

I'm pretty strong. For sure. I was a ranger for 8 years, and Itgoes with the territory. I have this real real bad tartan 27 and pearson renegade fetish, so I'm pretty enthralled with bill shaW's boats these days- but... I can look at freres boats for days- and not that I want my pop to die- but I do want him toget one so when he passes.... Hahahaha.

I'm not sure if there's actually a biblical commandment regarding end boom sheeting- but I'm confident that my boat- with end boom sheeting- will not inspire the wrath of the almighty, and thus be spared the ordeal of a lightning strike.... Whereas my pops cal- well he may not be so lucky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook