SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 or 25?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 or 25?

It depends on what you plan to do and where.

I have sailed a bunch of boats from a sunfish to a Hunter 32. Currently have a C22, IMHO its no dingy. But - its easy to handle. the C22 is fine for 4 adults, and can handle 5 or 6 people. You can put a ton of stuff in the cabin and it has lockers under the cockpit seats.

For me, bigger boats are great if you sleep on board or sail on the ocean but just seem to take more money, time and energy on systems, maintenance, cleaning and everything else. Smaller boats ( seems to me) leave you more time and energy to sail. Sails are cheaper too. We sail in the Hudson River mostly, and mostly day sail.

What kind of crew will you have? Do you have a strong agile person to go forward? The C22 is easy to handle, easy to put up sails. I know that our Hunter 32 felt like too big of a boat for 2 or 3 people on a day sail and I was always cleaning, fixing , dealing with a rig that was too big to take down.

A C25 might be a sweet spot , I don't know. But as a C22 owner I am having a lot of fun, its a very sweet boat and I am not pining away for a 25.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-20-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook