SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I need a guy and a sheet on each side of spinnaker?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Do I need a guy and a sheet on each side of spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
Oh.. I forgot...

Do most people raise it while the headsail is set? For a smallish boat like mine is this necessary in mild-moderate winds?
Its really best to be able to raise/dowse a spinn with the headsail flying, even on smallish boats ..... greatly increases the 'choices' of a set/dowse.
With a roller furling headsail you have to be sure that the topswivel is nowhere near the spinn (or sock) or you can wind up with the topswivel tangling and partly rolling the spinn. If you do have a furler, consider to install a large mast crane to keep the spinn well out of the way of that furler top swivel .... same reasons for having a sprit when using 'open' furling drums.

For small boats and lightweight spinn poles, the end of end method to gybe the pole remains the 'easiest' and least complicated ..... and there are available some control systems that allow gybing the pole from the cockpit and depending on the rigging configuration (eg.: a boat without lower forward stays ... but you need guys AND sheets). For end for ending the pole with a small boat, for singlehanding a symm spinnaker consider TWO spinn poles; the second pole doesnt need a downhaul nor topping lift ... only used to make the gybe and to hold a clew well outboard.

Last edited by RichH; 03-20-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook