SailNet Community - View Single Post - A simple gear question for a new sailor
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

MrDan27611 is on a distinguished road
A simple gear question for a new sailor

First, a bit about me. Owned a few boats, been on the ocean a number of times but not a great number of times. More lake experience than ocean experience. Sailed a 30' boat a few times. Sailed a sunfish a few times. Had a few sailing lessons over the years but always short lessons on basics. Pilot, business owner, farm owner. Married, kids, dogs, etc.

So I and the Mrs are heading off to sail with Capt Will in Charleston this summer. I'm reading my books, watching videos, and begging time on deck from a friend who has a boat in preparation for ASA 101-104. I have a dumb question that I need some experience with.

In going through the recommended stuff to bring, sailing gloves and foul weather gear are both listed. I've got no issue buying gear, heck I love cool new gear, but I rarely wear gloves when I work. Do I really need sailing gloves? I have to assume it's for blisters brought on by hauling lines over and over as you learn. I don't do manual labor for a living, but I farm and use my hands pretty much every week so I do have decently rough hands. With all that said about me, does my wife need gloves? She doesn't do farm labor and has soft girly hands as she should being a girl and all. Three kids later she has proven that she is tougher than me though. I just don't need pairs of gloves laying around that I don't need or money wasted.

And foul weather gear. June in Charleston doesn't seem to be the North atlantic. Is some decent rain gear good enough, like a hat and a coat? Do I need actual foul weather gear? I'd think for the beginner type classes we are taking that if real weather comes up we're taking that afternoon off. Am I wrong?

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you for sharing your experience.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook