SailNet Community - View Single Post - A simple gear question for a new sailor
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road
Re: A simple gear question for a new sailor

Hi,

welcome to the mutual sailing addicts support group . Can't tell you anything about Charleston but in general a lot depends how long you are going to be on the boat for (only day sailing or a longer passage ... ? where to). Make sure you you have something to protect you from the sun (hat + very good sunscreen), which can be worse than the effect of wind and rain. Unless you are going offshore, something that is rain and wind proof and something to keep you warm should it get a bit fresher is probably sufficient. Have some good grip shoes with non marking soles and sunglasses with retainer strap. I found sailing gloves myself very helpful, ropeburns and salt water can be painful. All doesn't have to be expensive. I bought most of my gear from fleebay, use motorcycle underwear when it gets colder, my gloves are neoprene builders gloves which look and function just the same as the much dearer "musto" ones. Strangely enough, when the same stuff gets sold for sailing the price goes up automatically ...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook