SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPirate View Post
I missed out on the ad nauseum debate. Au contraire as to any jealousy toward Minnewaska, I say more power to him. And while I agree that climbing aboard other people's boats is not cool, I sense in those kids a certain joie de vivre which we definitely need more of in this life. And yes, even though I am almost 60 and decidedly not a 1%'er, through hard work and some amount of good fortune, I find myself quite comfortably retired. But I did grow up in the 1960's and from that I find I can conjure up a goodly amount of admiration for those who do things on a shoestring, though anyone who does anything out of the mainstream is to be admired.
You should search the discussions out (use googles search, its better than Sailnets)

Interesting debates...and less about sailing and more about what people value. Lots of law and order types, decrying property and the breakdown of morals. On the flip-side, lots of sympathizers saying "its only kids" or "what they did was harmless". What was interesting to me was there was very little of the true anarchist mindset...which I think these people tried getting across. No one was justifying "take what you can, leave nothing behind" because who cares about law and order...you're going to die in the end...and that is the problem I have with Hold Fast.

In my opinion, they are advocating a lifestyle which is NOT so innocent. They're practicing mild piracy...albeit with pretty scenery and clever video editing and voiceovers. I'm not a buttoned up law and order type, but I also cant blame any boat owner that would blow these kids away with a shotgun for getting caught aboard their boat. If you live by the sword, you should be prepared to face the blade...and they're living dangerously doing what they advocate.

Last edited by night0wl; 03-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook