Re: A simple gear question for a new sailor
here's my $0.02;
You will NEED;
- something that covers your ears and back of neck (Kerchief under the hat? or the a hat with wide brim). My wife was calling me "redneck" when I started... See "Tilley" hats to get the idea.
- SPF 30+ sunblock (I always seem to forget this)
- Chapstik, or similar
- something to fix the sunglasses to your person (croakies, or the like). Fish don't need your glasses. DAMHIK...
- something to wipe the sunblock off the lens of the glasses
- a rain jacket of some sort (I started with motorcycle rain gear when I first took lessons. However, in June of that year it poured every freakin' day I was in the boat, and I soon went to West Marine for their Third Reef gear. I suppose that I could have donned a trash bag, but I needed something while the bike gear was drying out. I was also getting cooked in the bike gear because it didn't breathe. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you have to ask yourself if you committed to sailing, or if this a trial.)
I now have gloves, and as stated above, feel less tired when I use them. However, I frequently sail with out them. I strongly suggest them for the wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems