SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do I get insurance and how much does it cost?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: How do I get insurance and how much does it cost?

I did call a marine surveyor in Port Townsend to see if I could have someone come take a look at a boat pre-purchase.

They said they didn't really do in the water surveys.

They had at least a week wait.

Their fee was $2 per foot, plus travel expenses.

And I had to arrange and pay for a haulout. The haulout facility in Port Townsend doesn't operate on weekends.

So....to MAYBE buy a $4200 boat, I have to pay over a thousand dollars, convince the owner to take a day off work and help me haul it, and stand around all day for a survey.

What kind of negotiating power am I going to have after I payed a thousand dollars? Am I going to sit there and then try to get him down to $3900? He knows I have no negotiating power at this point.

This may work for $100000 boats. I don't see why the surveyor can't come and do an in water inspection in port townsend to spend about an hour checking what can be checked. For the kind of money they charge they should come with a wetsuit and dive, and climb the mast, because that was the other thing, they don't go up the mast. For their crazy fee, I'm still left wondering if all the cotter pins are in the shrouds at the masthead.

I'm not trying to be bitchy, I'm just getting the impression these surveyors have the boat buyers buy the

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 03-20-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook