SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Hi Hannah- Agree with you but don't fully understand why that is. Your new boat should track like it is on rails once the lee daggerboard is dropped but even boats like mine seem to do just fine n those circumstances. Is it because a high aspect deep rudder develops enough lift? Or because there is enough lateral plane to a single deep balanced fin rudder or two rudders aft? Wuld think the flatter runs to the newer hulls aft would increase "squirelly-ness" but this doesn't seem to be the case. Wonder why.
Hi Outbound, I tried to explain my thoughts on the subject but can not do it as well as Paulo or Jeff so one just needs to go to their posts to explain better than I can. For me I know what I feel when at the helm of a boat most of them cruising boats. The new designs seem to me to drive forward so much better than the old designed fin keel or that matter the old full keel. When I look at the hull design of old fin keels they look closer to the old full keel design than they do the newer designs and I'm sure that has something to do with it. Sorry I can't give you technical details as I'm just a sailor and not a designer.

By the way my wife is very impressed with the Outbound and last night asked me why we didn't look further into them before purchasing our new boat. I had to remind her we wanted the centerboard in aluminum. I'll let you know after we sail her for awhile if we made a mistake but she will let me know before I let you know as she is the supreme boss on our boat.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook