SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Hello-

I think I'm confusing myself....

When I plot a route on HomePort do I want to set HomePorts preference 's for "HEADING" as Automatic Magnetic Variation rather then True?

With HomePort set to Auto. Mag. Var., and a route plotted then downloaded to my Oregon 450 (which its "HEADING"- North Reference, is set to Magnetic) won't the compass Heading & Bearing be correct as seen in the dashboard data fields of the 450?
I'm thinking the above is the correct set-up?

If I set the HomePort "Heading" to True North and the GPS Heading to True I would then have to know the bearing in Magnetic to use the GPS or boats compass to correctly head to the destination correct?

After my waypoints, routes are set-up in HomePort I don't see that a magnetic bearing is saved anywhere to access on the 450...

Actually, I thought Lat/Lon coordinates were independent of True/Mag variation. If so, then any setting in HomePort would suffice if using the Oregon set to Magnetic?

I'm assuming that setting the Oregon to True, then the compass points to True North(internally corrects). Setting it to Magnetic then the Oregon points to magnetic North as a real compass?

Thanks-

Last edited by Robes; 03-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook