SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
You have to understand context. That "Hold Fast" documentary was discussed ad nauseum on this and many other sailing boards. There were heated opinions on both ends. It wasn't the Yacht Club crowd vs the Pardey crowd...but more along the "I respect property rights" crowd vs the "anarchist pirate" mentality displayed by Moxie and his crew.
I know of Moxie from another world where he is a respected computer security researcher with a very public face and a company that was recently acquired by Twitter for an undisclosed amount. I know that with his reputation he could have contracted with one of several organizations for a short period of time and made enough money to fund the entire trip/boat.

What bothers me the most about the things they did is that he easily could have made the money (if he didn't have it already) to do fine without having to steal or invade other people's property. The idea they couldn't pay someone <$200 to step the mast and had to break someone else's equipment is ludicrous, they had the money or the means to acquire it quickly, their decision not to do so was solely selfish.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook