SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
You guys will see places I never will with my draft. I just want to catch up and try to get to some of the places you've been. Just weirded me out the boat tracks better than my old tayana double ender even when surfing. As regards wives had the same experience -she picked the boat off a short menu. Read Jeff and Paulo all the time and learn but don't fully grasp the physics from their posts. Will ask Phil. Don't know of a good discussion of modern design like the old book "Favorable and unfavorable features......" I read eons ago.

.... (GRIN)
I try to be as intuitive as I can in what regards any design explanation. You really have to make an effort

Just kidding, but I guess that if we choose s single thing in what regards its major importance in what regards last 20 years of boat design development I would say CAD. And I do not mean for designing but in what regards the immediate possibility of having a pretty good idea of what a given form alteration will produce in a sailboat performance. The programs that NA designers use are very complex and give the possibility to experiment many solutions and predict their effects, something that was a dream before, only possible then with the use of very expensive tank testing and not practical in what regards a big number of alterations.

This provided an huge quantity of information that is on the basis of the fast development that occurred on boat design on the last decades.

Regarding to rudders and fin keels the precision in what regards hydrodynamic studies have conducted to more narrow fin keels and rudders with a small area that work dynamically in a a perfect way. Very rarely a new boat does not perform exactly the way it was predicted and no modification in keel or rudder is required when before it was frequent boats to be perfected along with the production, in the rudder and keel, to give them a better balance.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook