SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulfstar 37's Pro's & Cons
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

freedoman is on a distinguished road
Re: Gulfstar 37's Pro's & Cons

I own a 1979 Gulfstar 37 that I purchased in 1990 and love the boat. My wife and 2 children, now grown, have sailed on it every season (Apr-Oct) here in New England and have spent two weeks at a time on it comfortably. That being said, I have seen earlier built GF37s that almost don't seem to be quite the same boat somehow although that's purely a value judgement on my part. I have hull #139 so hopefully all the kinks were worked out earlier.
But to the point, the '79 GS37 is a well built and forgiving vessel under sail. All bulkheads are tabbed, the interior is roomy and storage space abounds. We have been in 35 k winds and 12' seas off Nantucket (not by choice) and the question on my mind was whether the crew would hold up not the boat. I had a double reefed main, with the head sail furled to 1/3 and 'Windchime' my vessel, wasn't even breathing hard as she just kept charging powerfully ahead.
The GS37s wide beam is carried all the way to the stern allowing for deep storage lockers, huge interior for a 37', (people can't believe it's only 37') and it's extended waterline allows for a comfortable sail in big seas. The teak joinery is masterfully done, and the vessel is extremely safe and forgiving. The biggest drawback is access to the engine but it's not unmanageable. People are surprised at the roominess below and the spacious comfortable cockpit. I love the boat. Just be sure to check for osmosis since I've heard horror stories about that on earlier ones. The deciding factgor for me was the fact that Ted Hood was the sole distributor for GS37s in the NE and he wouldn't be selling a poorly made or one that didn't sail well. I think I was right. I still own the boat and I'm getting ready to commission it for the coming season. Hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook