SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing a bow floodlight
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing a bow floodlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I certainly do not shine that light on any other boats. I do understand what a problem that would create, not to mention how obnoxious an improperly used light can be. It is only used to "see" when that becomes difficult. Navigating through a sea of lobster pot floats at headway speed is its duty. It is aimed at the water 10 or 20 yards ahead and can be scanned as necessary. If I were ever concerned that a boat hasn't seen me, it has only happened once under very special conditions,(that is another story!!) I aim it high and flash it on and off. Please know we are careful and thoughtful on and off the water. I suppose it is a mistake to assume that is understood by everyone reading this post. If you are considering a temporarily bow mounted flood you need to understand its purpose, its potential for creating problems and use it accordingly. Ours is used the same way a hand held is used without having to dedicate a hand to operate it. Having a remote controller allows that to be the case with a rail "mounted" light.

Being able to search a rocky shore we are approaching or the basin of a remote anchorage late at night can be helpful. Picking up a mooring in the fog, too.

Enjoy the night!

Down
All good then
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook