Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: A simple gear question for a new sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
here's my $0.02;

You will NEED;
  • sunglasses
  • hat
  • something that covers your ears and back of neck (Kerchief under the hat? or the a hat with wide brim). My wife was calling me "redneck" when I started... See "Tilley" hats to get the idea.
  • shorts
  • SPF 30+ sunblock (I always seem to forget this)
  • Chapstik, or similar
  • something to fix the sunglasses to your person (croakies, or the like). Fish don't need your glasses. DAMHIK...
  • something to wipe the sunblock off the lens of the glasses
  • a rain jacket of some sort (I started with motorcycle rain gear when I first took lessons. However, in June of that year it poured every freakin' day I was in the boat, and I soon went to West Marine for their Third Reef gear. I suppose that I could have donned a trash bag, but I needed something while the bike gear was drying out. I was also getting cooked in the bike gear because it didn't breathe. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you have to ask yourself if you committed to sailing, or if this a trial.)

I now have gloves, and as stated above, feel less tired when I use them. However, I frequently sail with out them. I strongly suggest them for the wife.
Good list.

I like gloves especially if you have to handle anchor line etc. You dont have to have them on full time unless your racing and the fingerless ones are the ones we use. Nothing worse than trying to grab a slimy moooring line with your bare hands.

If you are serious about continueing to sail a good pair of lightwieght foulies will be used time and again. You would be suprised how it saves you from getting cold when wet at even the balmiest of conditions. In the beginning any outside gear will do, but when they come on sale snatch a good pair up which is breathable and you can use to layer with. It can also extend you sailing season so you go out other times it is 80 abnd sunny.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook