SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm a fan of the Spinlock Deckvest and its integrated spray hood, s-cutter, lights, thigh straps (very important) etc. As the OP pointed out, there is a lot of personal preference to this one and I find the Deckvest to be most comfortable rounded neoprene instead of sharp edged nylon. Personally, I see no circumstance where one thinks a harness is necessary, where a pfd wouldn't be. Maybe its just me. I can see one wanting a pfd, but not necessarily need to be tethered in, and there is no downside to the deckvest. Just don't clip in.

II'm in the camp of not trusting a quick release and prefer to cut it away, if necessary. I would rather focus on setting up the jackline, so that being dragged in the water was an impossiblity anyway. That's fielders choice as well.
If I am in the cockpit for a long duration on a relative calm day and not moving forward I will sometimes just wear the harness as its really light, but I agree with you anytime spent foreward meeds a PFD.

I also agree with the cutting of the web, thats one of the reason I went with the spinlocks too. The quick relaease are an asset when moving up the jackline and going from one to the next one. Thats why I have the double so you are never not attached.

Placement of the jacklines is the parmount thing too, Especially the final one in the cockpitone which prevents you frrom being thrown over the stern.

I reality I dont do much sailing in conditions where this is a real necessity, but on a couple of deliveries I have done being clipped in was a great sense of securit

Dave
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook