SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raw Water Cooled for 35 Years?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Raw Water Cooled for 35 Years?

Ran the original 1973 2QM15 raw water Yanmar until fall of 2012 in Far Cry. No hour meter so have no way of knowing how many hours were on it. Previous owner lived aboard for 15 years and had no solar so I know there were a lot battery charging hours. I had no issues with the motor other than parts were getting very hard to find and I assumed I was going to eventually need to replace something major. I ran across a financially distressed person with a rebuilt 2GM20 raw water cooled engine with transmission complete with all paperwork shrink wrapped on the pallet from the re-builder for $500. NO typo. Yes, I snatched that up and swapped motors. Ironically I spent far more than the $500 on new motor mounts, exhaust, hoses, coupling, fuel lines etc. in the process on installing it. Purrs like a top and the new owner is very pleased. A bad cell in a battery left me dead in the water just after I acquired Far Cry and I was able to use the decompression levers to hand crank it and get back into the marina. I love the KISS principle in the marine environment. I wouldn't hesitate to own another raw water cooled engine.

Last edited by FarCry; 03-21-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook