SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound

Copied this from your other thread since it is more on topic in this one:
Quote:
Not to change topics, but why is everyone, including my friends and family who I show the boats I am looking at so in favour of the Ranger? I like it, don;t get me wrong, but what are others seeing that I am not? Are they just really good boats? Are they super hardy? I realized that if I trust my boat, I love to sail in high(ish) winds, say 15-25 knots.
The photos of the Ranger show that the buyer cares enough to have cleaned up a little bit before taking the photos. Most of the other boats that you are looking at have interior photos where the boat is just filled with trash. I'm guessing that is why your friends and family get excited about it. Look at the photos side by side with the Catalina 27 (which is cleaner than some of the boats that you've considered) and it is easy to see.

I like it out of everything listed because it appears to be the combination of the best equipped and best maintained. New clean cushions and outboard will also make it easiest to sell at the end of your trip. I have a feeling that the boat would have sold weeks ago if it were listed in Seattle instead of Port Townsend.

Quality wise the Ranger should be at least as good as anything else that you are looking at and has a reputation for sailing really well. Since you have extra time this week you could watch the B-movie "The Dove" (it is free on Netflix) if you want to see one in action. This movie is based on a true story about a teenager sailing circumnavigating in the 60s. In the real world the sailor used a Cal 24, but in the film they used a Ranger 23.

Ultimately what is going to matter on all of these is how well they've been taken care of. The fact that the Ranger owners both to keep it washed, the interior tidy, and can list recent upgrades/work shows that it was likely well loved and maintained in mechanical ways too. You can't know until you inspect it though.

The US 25 looks like a good deal, but it also looks like a 3/4 done project (the interior walls are raw fiberglass for instance). Those boats always make me wonder what happened, why is it being sold? It appears to be being sold at a major loss too, which again makes me wonder why (and why hasn't it sold yet)? It could be something fine where the seller needs the money and can't pay for moorage anymore. It could be something bad like they and most people who've looked at the boat have found a fundemental flaw and they are just trying to dump it while they can.