SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The US 25 looks like a good deal, but it also looks like a 3/4 done project (the interior walls are raw fiberglass for instance). Those boats always make me wonder what happened, why is it being sold? It appears to be being sold at a major loss too, which again makes me wonder why (and why hasn't it sold yet)? It could be something fine where the seller needs the money and can't pay for moorage anymore. It could be something bad like they and most people who've looked at the boat have found a fundemental flaw and they are just trying to dump it while they can.
The US25 is certainly at a good price point, these boats are not as fast as they look like they should be, IIRC the bulkheads are not fully (if at all) tabbed in and the cockpits are teeny tiny.. racing with 3 aboard was very tight.

The fact that the hull sides (ceilings) below are bare is probably a good thing. The boats were originally 'carpeted' and in all likelihood the ports and stanchions leaked and the stuff got wet/rotten/moldy... at that price and as a project it's kind of attractive to have the 'demolition' stage mostly done. I imagine the cutout liner around the new ports is part of the port replacement, unfortunately that's going to take some imagination to clean up.

Agree with Alex (and others) that of all those boats the Ranger will be the better sailer, (even though both it and the US25 are Gary Mull designs) with the exception of the Santana 27 which looks a sweet boat and will have a bit more room, and speed, I'd think.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook