SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I need a guy and a sheet on each side of spinnaker?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do I need a guy and a sheet on each side of spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Actually, if you're going to use the main to blanket the spinnaker, a surer way is to drop it down the companionway (either under the boom or 'letterbox' it) rather than drop it on the foredeck where it could still get caught by the wind.. plus it keeps the crew weight aft when you most need it.

..just a suggestion.
On our Martin 242 the kite was launched and retrieved from a companionway bag.. it works great because the kite never needs repacking, and the sheets and halyard stay attached all the time. We even left the guy in the pole jaws unless we had to do a windward set, or changed jibes between runs.

A large overlapping genoa would interfere with this strategy, but up to about 28-30 feet I think that idea could be made to work.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook