SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raw Water Cooled for 35 Years?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Raw Water Cooled for 35 Years?

It wasn't that bad. Fortunately that engine always started pretty easy with the electric starter motor, my preferred method!!!!

Yanmar provides a starting handle that fits on the bolt on the crank. It is sort of a one-way type socket that is designed to let go when the engine starts. It was on the boat when I bought it and is listed in the parts manuals.

Process I used.
1) Swear profusely that I hadn't gotten around to installing a dedicated starting bank sooner.
2) Search every nook and cranny for that goofy looking starting handle.
3) Drink a beer and come up with a plan.
4) Move decompression levers off
5) Crank engine over a couple of times to see what it's like
5a) In hindsight I probably should have closed the raw water intake. I didn't and got lucky.
6) Crank as hard as I could with both hands
7) Flip one decompression lever off. Cylinder fired immediately and handle came off crank.
8) Flip other decompression lever off. Other cylinder fired.
9) Close up engine compartment and pat myself on back. Feeling quite proud about now. Drink another beer and carry on like nothing ever happened. LOL

I think with the new high torque, high voltage cordless tools, one could possibly crank the motor over. I never tried. My biggest fear I had was that the the engine would fire and the crank handle would remain attached to the engine. That seems like a good way to break an arm, or wrist, or worse...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook