SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

I'll consider a combo unit, but only if the PFD is comfortable/light enough that I wear it all the time, even without the tether. I like the idea of always having the D-clips available on a moment's notice, but not if there's a large penalty in comfort. Previous comments were that combo units were heavier than non-harness auto inflate PFDs, but I suspect there are exceptions.

In my boat I will wear a PFD all the time - I'm not willing to compromise that level of safety. I just won't need a harness 95% of the time, since I have crew with me and am in a very protected area. But a PFD that's as comfortable as my current one, but has D clips, would be the best of both worlds.

I've had my eyes on the Mustang MD3184 for awhile (have had a price watch on it at Amazon, waiting for it to come down some), and I think I tried one on at a boat show awhile ago, and recall it was fairly comfortable. I went with a WM non-harness PFD because it was equally comfortable and much lower cost, and at that time 3 years ago I envisioned absolutely no need to clip in. But that WM one has gotten to the point where the bobbin needs replacement, so it might be a good time to upgrade to the Mustang, with its D-clips and superior auto-inflate technology.

Can you guys with the Mustang vouch for its comfort and light weight? If so, that would probably be my selection.

Defender has it on sale for $231, which is 10% below their normal price. I've seen it go for a bit less on ebay, but always concerned about expiration dates when buying through unauthorized sources. I have about 6 weeks before I might need this, so I can afford to wait for an attractive price. Whati s a good price for the MD3184? Should I go ahead an pull the trigger at Defender? I'll be placing an order for some other accessories, so I'd add this in with them.

Also, are there add-on leg straps available for the MD3184? Keep in mind that I will not be sailing in areas where USCG certification is required. I'll be using the harness on inland waters out of an abundance of caution when singlehanding.

FYI, I checked the exhibitors list for the Annapolis Spring sailboat show, and Annapolis Performance Sailing is not on the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook