SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tires as Fenders
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawarra Bill View Post
First of all. .... You lucky dog. You live in Hawaii. What island are you on? I went to U.H. For a year. love it. Sailing must be out of this world. I don't see why you would need 2 g worth of fenders. With the way a sailboat is shaped you really have one main rub point if you are square to the dock. I'm running 3 along the dockside. Maybe 2 on the opposite as a courtesy to my neighbor if he drifts over. And the cost to me was a couple hundred with all the rope. I hate spending the money. Seems like everything for a boat has you pay triple tax hidden somewhere.
On a large catamaran, the hull is pretty much straight, not like a mono hull that is widest at its beam. The guy that owns the large cat with the $2k in fenders I suppose wants to protect is $500k boat as best he can, and try to distribute the hull forces along as much surface area as can be done. The guy with the tires has the entire dock along side his hull covered with tires- again to increase the fending surface area. I am on Oahu, harbor is Haleiwa on North Shore.

The sailing here is good, generally a 25 knot plus wind. I kinda like the days the wind goes below 15 knots, then I can relax a little.

Last edited by casey1999; 03-21-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook