SailNet Community - View Single Post - A simple gear question for a new sailor
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: A simple gear question for a new sailor

Do you wear a wedding band? If so, then you really need to wear gloves anytime you are working around machinery and equipment. This is a basic safety rule and helps you to not loose a finger, otherwise take your ring(s) off. Watches too for that matter.
I'm forever amazed at how many different ways I can gouge, cut, scrape, burn, bruise or blister myself often leaving a trail of blood back to where I store the first aid kit. So I wear "Mechanics" gloves that I buy at Lowes. They are full finger, made of systhetic leather and cheap.
On my last sail, I was in the slip, had taken my gloves off and was putting things away and somehow whacked my left hand pinkie and spewed blood all over the place, which if not cleaned right away becomes a chore to get rid of. I wouldn't want to do that on someone else's boat.
When sailing in wet weather, you do a lot of sitting on wet surfaces and a lot of department store gear will not keep your bum dry and that is where good sailing pants come in to play, they are even better than hiking gear for keeping your tush dry.
Don't skimp on this stuff for your wife. You will appreciate it later.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook