SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bareboat Cruising course with Offshore Sailing School

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  justflie 
#1 ·
My wife and I will be starting the bareboat cruising course in Fort Myers on Monday. We got our US Sailing Basic Keelboat certification this past May. Any last minute advice before we start?

And boy, am I looking forward to leaving the snow behind. Long winter.

#3 ·
Pay attention, let things sink in, and try and get the most helm time in the worst weather.
I got lucky; right before my class was to start everyone backed out! I paid extra (not a lot) for the instructor and myself to go out for the whole week. Spent 2 days (about 12 hrs) in nasty, nasty weather. Money well spent.
I wish i had learned more about light wind sailing on a big rig.

#9 ·
So there are two things wrong with my post. I took the liveaboard cruising course on captiva island, fl. With regard to location, part of it was I was meeting some friends in Bonita Springs before the class. I can't remember why we chose Captiva Island over Fort Myers, but I think they weren't offering the liveaboard course out of Fort Myers during the timeframe we were looking to take the course. That rings a bell.

Starting a new thread probably later this week to talk about my experience. In short, it was great. More detail to follow in the separate thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.