SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

It is an interesting case he makes for softer tethers.

As a professional climber, I am all about safety and have taken more than a few classes in it. I know on a man or scissors lift, the idea of the tether is not to stop your fall, but to stop you from falling in the first place. It seems to me this would be the same aboard a boat. It is not that you want to slow your fall, but that you do not want to get washed overboard in the first place.

I can tell you that in theatre, we use rope as our jack lines. He mentions that using rope can confuse it with running rigging. I think the short sightedness in that thinking is that you can get rope in many different colours. If all your lines are natural or white.. choose a red or a blue as your jack line. You want something that stands out so you can't miss it.

By all means, install a screamer, I would use a tether that lets you have the jackline along the center of the boat and lets you reach the toerail, but no further and use locking beeners. I prefer the ones where you have to squeeze a trigger before you can pull back the clip. Easier to use than twist and safer

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook