SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

What I would do on that C25 is run a single jack line from the edge of the companionway slider (near the winch) and tie it off around the master (using a water knot). Then run a second line from a padeye on the vertical edge of the bridge deck (near the bottom) and out to a padeye on the transom. We did this on a 36 foot ULDB to good effect (a boat not much beamier than your Catalina). Your six foot tether will then get you to the bow if needed and you would give you the freedom to move around the cockpit. This mobility becomes more important once you add a second or third crewmember into the mix.

I personally been partially overboard twice in the past 30 years. Both times on race boats, once from the bow and the other from the helm. On the bow, lost my balance while doing a headsail peel and using both hands to take in sail (the “one hand for the ship” is a really important rule). I slid through the life lines and caught a “cheese cutter” line in the crotch which arrested my slide. Our bow man pulled me back on board. From the helm, let’s just say, the open class boats are wide open back there (funny story). Others that I’ve known who have gone over were due to balance issues and not getting flushed by a wave. The big problem with boarding waves is they will set off the pill activated auto inflators. Either switch to manual fire or carry extra re-arming kits in your bag. It has happened twice to me also.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook