SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

First bottom painting

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to bottom paint my boat for the first time. I'm using Interlux 2000E Primer. It states to use 202 Wash to clean the hull, that is a problem as it is not sold in Calif. Can anyone recommend a good hull cleaner to remove everything that needs to come off the hull, including wax. THANKS in advance.

#2 ·
Ohhh......California...eco-conscious. I remember what that used to be like.

I would go to the local car supply/car paint supply dealer and ask them for the cleaner they use to wipe down cars. Make sure it is fiberglass compatible.
I'm sorry; i don't remember the exact name. It's been a while since i've painted a car.
In fact, California was the last place. Last paint job was a Candy apple red P/U in Lancaster,CA. My last Hot Rod was built in Pamdale; 1961 Pro-street Ford Falcon. Loved that Car. I'm sure the builder is long gone. 20 some yrs ago.

#6 ·
Ohhh......California...eco-conscious. I remember what that used to be like.

I would go to the local car supply/car paint supply dealer and ask them for the cleaner they use to wipe down cars. Make sure it is fiberglass compatible....
We used something called 'Tumbler'.. got it from an autopaint supply store. Like all such solvent/cleaners, nasty stuff - use a respirator with the proper cartridge.

This was 15 years ago so maybe now there's another name...

#7 ·
If you use dish soap as a degreaser/wash down. DON'T use soap with any type of additives IE. lotion.. We use to use Ivory. When we used to wet sand we would add a few drops of ivory to the water to take off extra wax.
That being said; i would still use a good de-waxer product to clean the boat before painting. You don't want to find out 2 years from now that you have adhesion problems. There are 2 types of adhesion; mechanical and chemical. Since you are using the mechanical method it must be free of all contaminants. The cleaner the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.