SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness and Tether Recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Harness and Tether Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Let's talk about my specific boat for a few seconds:
I'd suggest simply going with a tether fixed to the base of the mast, long enough to reach back to the cockpit... Clip into it when going forward, it will give you full mobility on deck, can be shortened up when working at the mast... I've gone to such a setup on my 30-footer, I find it FAR better than anything to do with jacklines on boats of that size... Add another tether dedicated for cockpit use, of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm also thinking of this tether, which seems to have some nice features. Comments on this?:

I used the double tether for a few years, and found I preferred the single... KISS, one often never knows what to do with the unused portion, and the tendency is often to loop it around one's neck... BAD idea, of course...

And I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would NEVER use a tether with a snap shackle at the harness attachment point while singlehanding, instead of the double-action style hooks at the outboard end... I understand the arguments in favor of them, but they are far outweighed by the risk of an accidental/inadvertent release, IMHO...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook